Three PhD positions are still available in TOPCSP doctoral: DLR (Germany), The Cyprus Institute (Cyprus) and John Cockerill Renewables (Belgium).
Application deadline: 8th April 2023
Please, send the application form and required documents to the contact email of each position you want to apply for. Information about the three PhD positions is included below.
Supported researchers must be doctoral candidates, i.e. not already in possession of a doctoral degree at the date of the recruitment. Researchers who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will not be considered eligible.
Recruited researchers can be of any nationality and must comply with the following mobility rule: they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date.
For ‘International European Research Organisations’ (IERO), ‘international organisations’, or entities created under Union law, the researchers must not have spent more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment in the same appointing organisation.
Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays and time spent by the researcher as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
Master’s students in their final year may apply but the candidates must hold a degree that allows enrolment in a doctoral programme at the contract signature stage.
The candidates must comply with the PhD regulation of the recruiting institution.
The recruitment strategy will be in line with the recommendations in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. The process will adhere to OTM-R (open, transparent, and merit-based recruitment of researchers) practices.
The selected candidates will receive a 36-month, full-time employment contract based on the MSCA allowances in line with the MSCA WP 2021-2022.
The approximate allowances are (before all compulsory taxes, deductions and social charges are subtracted): Living allowance 3400 €/month + Mobility allowance 600 €/month + Family allowance (if applicable) 660 €/month.
Small variation on the above allowances results of the application of a country correction coefficient to the living allowance in order to ensure equal treatment and purchasing power parity for all researchers. Additional funding may be possible to extend the contract, depending on the host institution, and in accordance with the regular PhD duration in the host institution.
DC1: Universal flux density measurement system for large-scale external and cavity receivers with high-performance image processing
Development and deployment of a universal flux density measurement system for large-scale external and cavity receivers with high-performance image processing.
Host institution: DLR (Julich, Germany), PhD enrolment at RWTH-Aachen University
Main supervisor: Dr. Christian Raeder
Secondments (to be confirmed): The Cyprus Institute (academic) and Synhelion (non-academic)
Contact email: Christian.Raeder@dlr.de
General information about the DLR Graduate Program and undertaking a PhD in DLR can be found here.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in the field of mechanical engineering, industrial technology engineering, energy engineering, telecommunication engineering, electronics engineering, automation engineering, physics, applied mathematics, computer science.
- Solid knowledge in optics, concentrated solar power systems and solar radiation in the high-power range and their measurement and display.
- Knowledge in mechanical engineering, heat transfer and applied thermodynamics and computer science.
- Experience in programming: image processing and machine learning, data acquisition, data analysis and presentation.
- A scientific, independent, responsible, systematic and creative way of working and a passion for developing solutions.
- Good English speaking/writing/reading skills.
- We are looking for an open-minded, eager to learn and enthusiastic personality with excellent communication skills and a very good team player.
DC 8: Generative designs of solar tower receivers
Development of an open-source computational framework to automatically generate receiver designs fulfilling multiple objectives.
Host institution: The Cyprus Institute (Nicosia, Cyprus)
Main supervisors: Dr. Manuel Blanco and Dr. Mihalis Nicolaou
Secondments (to be confirmed): Politecnico di Milano (academic) and John Cockerill Renewables (non-academic)
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master’s degree or equivalent in the fields of mechanical engineering, industrial technology engineering, energy engineering, physics, applied mathematics, computer science, and the like.
- Good academic records in relevant fields.
- Good communication and writing skills; ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Proficiency in oral and written English.
- Proficient/experience in, at least, a programming language (desirable Python or C++).
Desirable but not needed:
- Knowledge or experience in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning.
Solid knowledge of heat transfer and applied thermodynamics
DC 10: Full economic and environmental analysis of CSP plants
Life Cycle Analysis and economic analysis of a state-of-the-art CSP plant and comparison of the results with other renewable energy generation technologies.
Host institution: John Cockerill (Seraing, Belgium)
PhD enrolment: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Main supervisors: Dr. Ridha Harzallah and Dr. Domingo Santana
Secondments (to be confirmed): Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (academic) and Universidad de Sevilla (academic)
Contact email: email@example.com
- Master’s degree or equivalent in the field of mechanical engineering, industrial technology engineering, energy engineering, physics, applied mathematics.
- Solid knowledge of heat transfer and applied thermodynamics.
- Experience in programming is also appreciated.
- Good English speaking/writing/reading skills.